Preparing your application
We pride ourselves on finding the best people, and we want you to be ready for the challenge. Your job application is an opportunity to demonstrate that you have the relevant skills and attributes to do the job, and that you understand the organisation. Here are some tips on how to create a tailored resume and cover letter, and clearly address the selection criteria for the role.
A cover letter helps to introduce your resume to potential employers and highlights your suitability for the role. Write your cover letter in letter format, ideally no longer than one page. Use your cover letter to:
- introduce yourself
- express why you are interested in the position
- present your key attributes in an interesting and relevant way
- briefly demonstrate why you think you are a suitable applicant.
A resume (or CV) is a summary of your education, employment experience and skills. Your resume should be two or three pages long with headings to make up information about your:
- personal details (name and contact details)
- skills summary
- professional development
- employment experience
- selected key achievements
- referees – two or three are preferable and you should include your current direct manager or supervisor if possible.
Addressing selection criteria
Selection criteria are included in position descriptions and used by a selection panel to assess each applicant. We will evaluate what you tell us about your qualifications, skills, abilities, experience and knowledge in relation to the advertised position to help us ensure you will be successful in the role if appointed.
There are generally two types of selection criteria:
- Essential criteria are those attributes, qualifications and experience that are required to perform the role.
- Desirable criteria are skills or experience that would be valued by an employer in addition to the essential criteria but not a necessity.
- Situation – Describe the problem that required attention.
- Action – Describe what you did.
- Result – Illustrate what happened as a result of what you did.
When it comes to writing a statement to address the selection criteria, make sure you include examples that demonstrate your skills, knowledge or experience. It can help to frame your response using the STAR technique:
Task – Illustrate the purpose of solving the problem.
Submitting your application
- Select the ‘Apply now’ button at the top right of the screen. You will need to ensure you allow pop-ups in your browser to ensure the link to the application opens.
- For new applicants, please enter your email to begin the application process. You will need to read and accept our privacy statement before being able to commence your application.
- Complete the online application form as required. An asterisk (*) will indicate any question that is mandatory. You will be unable to submit your application until all the mandatory questions have been completed.
- Attach your resume in the Documents tab. At a minimum, a resume must be attached. You will also have the option to upload additional documents such as a cover letter, key selection criteria responses or any additional documents that are required.
- Select ‘Submit application’ to complete your application. By submitting your application, you’re confirming that all information contained in the application is correct.
- A message will appear acknowledging your application has been submitted.
Please note: You can log in anytime to view your submitted applications and update your account details. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
太阳城app下载 is committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace. If you have any support or access requirements, you are welcome to submit your application through non-online means. Please get in touch with the contact listed in the job advertisement and they’ll advise you of an alternative means of applying.
Applications for casual work
All casual roles at 太阳城app下载 are advertised on the University careers page. To ensure you're receiving the most up-to-date alerts for casual roles at 太阳城app下载, you can register your interest via the 太阳城app下载 Careers Portal.
You can also create alerts for roles that suit your skills, experience and interests. Once you've registered, you will start receiving alerts for any roles that match your criteria as they become available.
What to expect after you've applied
If your application is successful we'll call you to invite you to an interview either on campus or via video conference. Interstate or overseas applicants will be invited to an interview via video or phone. Where possible we'd like to give you the opportunity to meet us in person.
If your application is unsuccessful, you'll be notified by email.
Attending an interview
Congratulations on securing an interview for a role at 太阳城app下载! Here are some things to keep in mind when preparing for your interview:
- Interviews are normally around 30–45 minutes duration.
- There are usually three people on the interview panel.
- The questions you'll be asked will be related to the selection criteria.
- You'll have the opportunity to ask questions.
- If there are any tests (e.g. skills, psychometric etc.) that you need to complete you'll be notified in advance.
- Before we talk to your referees, we'll advise you first.
After your interview we will be in contact to advise you of the outcome of your application once a decision has been made.